It’s time for session 32, my dudes. What will the party do now that the Unholy Crusade is destroying the planes?
- Ciaran (LVL20) and Basile (LVL22)
- Kass (LVL21)
- Rhaegar (LVL 21)
- Alkaid (LVL 22)
With the group separated:
Basile and Ciaran, who had run off during the battle, found themselves lost in the expanse of Mechanus. Once Basile stopped Ciaran from running, Basile sits down in a state of shell shock, and Ciaran casts Leomund’s Tiny Hut around them to keep them protected. They decide to wait for the others to find them.
Rhaegar and Lorn head further into the city to try and find Law and Order, as well as any possible survivors. As they approach closer, they find a black pike in the center of town with the head of the dragon. Around it are body parts, including those of Arch Bishop Zett. Rhaegar collects claw of the dragon and Law and Order.
Alkaid and Kass remain at the scene of the battle. Alkaid lied on the ground and took in everything that happened while healing herself, and Kass just stood there in shock. They decide to look for the rest of the party. They head into the city to try and find the others. They meet up with Rhaegar and Lorn, then decide to try and find Basile and Ciaran. Alkaid uses Swift Tracker to find where Ciaran ran off. They carefully make their way to where Ciaran’s hut is constructed. It looks like a gingerbread house.
Rhaegar knocks on the door and Ciaran lets them in, saying, “yay, they found us!” Basile doesn’t reply. After ensuring everyone is relatively okay, they plane shift back to Neebsenshire to rest and prepare for their next moves.
In town, Lucy is still feeling unwell despite Mechanus being cleared of Lucifer’s army. The group realizes the plane of fire may be under attack. Everyone goes to Xi-Long to turn in one of the swords they collected – easily earning 2 million gold.
- Rhaegar kept the other sword.
- Alkaid enchanted her bow with Mage Bane.
- Basile enchanted his glaive to Holy Vampiric Metalline Lawful Evil Bane Anarchic, as well as a charisma enchantment on his vest of resistance.
- Ciaran, with Basile’s money, purchased a headband of intellect.
- Kass purchased prismatic scimitars.
Distraught, Basile also goes to visit his dad for comfort but only finds his mom. Despite her discomfort, he tells her that he forgives her, and that she doesn’t have to feel guilty anymore for not protecting him. She breaks down and starts crying.
Later in the night, Rhaegar takes Ciaran and Basile away despite Basile’s unwillingness. Basile reads a Scroll of True Resurrection to bring back Arch Bishop Zett. As Rhaegar tells him what happened, Durendal scolds him for being too harsh. Zett tells him that the crusade was likely after the Heart of Mechanus, which controls the laws of magic in the universe. Rhaegar asks if Zett would be able to undo the spell that erased Basile’s mentor, but Zett says only with the Heart of Mechanus he may be able to do such a thing. Rhaegar returns Zett Law and Order, and he plane shifts away.
After Rhaegar shows Eyrene the claws of the dragon from Mechanus, she reveals that Basile already told her that they killed Ivuram. With that, Basile teleports Eyrene back to Modelheim so she can confirm Ivuram has been killed. They then return back to Neebsenshire for safety.
The next day, Basile asks Alkaid to come over to the temple to talk about what happened. They are both distraught at Basile’s mentor being erased from time, and try to figure out how to bring him back. Alkaid states that she remembers who she origin struck thanks to Ioun. Basile asks Alkaid to trace his origin to see if she can try to remember him. After he turns visible, Alkaid studies him and is able to remember Pythos. However, she also sees Ciaran’s attempted sacrifice, as well as the many cities Basile and Pythos burned down. Additionally, she sees Basile’s trial, as well as Basile’s birth. Horrified, she is tempted to strike Basile, but promised not to hurt him. She tells him that she saw Basile’s parents were human, and that she remembers Pythos. Basile hugs her with relief and excitement and immediately goes to Kass to meet one of his art students. Alkaid describes Pythos to the artist so a portrait can be made for Basile.
At home, Rhaegar is cleaning the platinum scales of the dragon. Meanwhile, Bubbles perks up and stares out the window to the north. Bubbles warns Rhaegar to hold onto something. The earth starts to quake, causing the artist at the college to mess up his drawing and drop the sketchbook. Basile immediately grabs it and pays the artist as a thank you.
Bubbles tells Rhaegar that the area around Lhansborough was the source of the earthquake. Rhaegar and Bubbles run to the college and get the others to teleport to Rhaegar’s home. Upon arriving, they see that there is considerable damage but Rhaegar’s family is safe. However, the rest of the city is in shambles. Outside of the rubble is a massive bronze city that stretches as far as they can see. Some of the buildings are so large, they dwarf the size of the mountains Lhansborough is built upon. Basile and Kass recognize it as the City of Brass from the fire plane.
The party goes to meet with Loris and eventually meet with two fire genasi who explained that the plane of fire is cooling down. The city was teleported here because it was warmer. They mean no harm and would be happy to rebuild Lhansborough – but they just start burning stuff down. Rhaegar has to tell them that’s not how to rebuild the city.
Rhaegar shops for a time elemental “slave” while the others look for Jubair, an afreeti who works for the Circle of Fire. Rhaegar finds a Salamander selling an iron flask, which holds a large time elemental inside. Rhaegar haggles the price lower to only a mere 180,000 gold.
Meanwhile, the others search the city. The roads are lined with carts where lizard folk, genasi, devils, tieflings (the first ones they had seen other than Basile and the Unholy Crusade) and a single aasimar with a flaming halo. As is grows closer to dusk, they eventually find a massive conclave in the center of the city. Ciaran and Kass run ahead in awe, as Basile follows behind quietly. Alkaid is nearby him, pulling Xylander away from all of the food vendors. They enter into the building and find Jubair – a buff woman with a tornado of fire instead of legs.
Basile introduces them and state they are here to welcome the City of Brass to the mortal plane, stating that they want to create a peaceful alliance with them. Jubair welcomes them in, and Basile shoots a message to Rhaegar to join them. After Rhaegar arrives, Jubair explains that their god – a massive phoenix – has departed. Rhaegar asks if they can speak with the Circle of Fire, and is told it will be a year before they are able to speak with them. However, if the party can find Jubair an item of cosmic power, she will help them move up the docket. Rhagear offers the great sword as a loan for Jubair to use to move up politically. Lorn draws up a legal document to ensure they will receive the sword back. Jubair leaves to have the Circle of Fire meet them in a few hours.
As they wait, Rhaegar shows the group his iron flask and asks Ciaran to case a magic circle against magic to keep the time elemental trapped until they can earn its loyalty. Ciaran casts the circle and Rhaegar uncorks the flask and tosses it in. As the smoke escapes and dissipates, the time elemental is left behind. It states its name as Xx~@!!?=+- It asks for Rhaegar’s resume, including his favorite beverage. Rhaegar states he enjoys ale, and the time elemental asks to try some. Ciaran, who is good, is able to give the cup through the magic circle. The cup disintegrates and the ale turns back into a fruit. “Delicious,” is replies. It agrees to serve Rhaegar for an “approximate amount of time” of 7 months, 3 weeks, 4 days, 12 hours, 29 minutes, 37 second, 259 milliseconds. At that point, they will need to renegotiate. They high five – or high infinity. Rhaegar calls him Chronos.
To kill the time while waiting for the Circle of Fire, Basile prays to Ioun to beg Pythos back into existence, knowing that only a god’s intervention can do so. The other plays a card game that Ciaran invents. Even still, Kass wins.
An hour later, they are lead into the hall to meet with the Circle of Fire. Lining the walls are statues of obsidian, glass, and stone. Candlighters light the candles on the statues, which calls upon the members of Circle of Fire. After discussing the security of both cities and peace, the Circle explains that their god has left but they are unsure why. Rhaegar goes a good job of keeping them focused on the tasks at hand, but after insulting one of the council members, the conversation devolves into argument.
Out of the argument, Kass hears that an army was seen messing with the outskirts of lava. Alkaid hears that a dissonant screech of pain was heard by the phoenix. Basile hears that other planes are growing hotter. Rhaegar hears that the phoenix was wounded.
Upon realizing that they are Neebs and Associates, the circle grows quiet and believes that they can find their god. If the associates can restore the plane of fire, the Circle of Fire will assist them. If the associates fail, they will reach out to Asmodeous. As they leave, one of the council members asks for Neebs’ autograph. Their daughter is a big fan. They’ll get them an autograph carved in stone.
Ciaran casts Contact Other Plane to speak with the upper planes to try and determine where they should go. He first tries contacting Elysium.
- Have you been under attack by the Unholy Crusade? – No
- Has the Phoenix God from the Plane of Fire been seen in this plane? – No
- Which planes have been under attack? – Mt. Celestia
- Has the Phoenix God from the Plane of Fire been seen in Mt. Celestia? – Yes
- Is it still in Mt. Celestia? – Yes
- Is the Unholy Crusade still in Mt. Celestia? – No
- Where is the Unholy Crusade going next? – Unknown
- Who can we talk to in Mt. Celestia that can help us? – Adajah
- Who am I talking to? – Pelor
Ciaran is very excited that he got to speak with another god. Chronos says that Adajah is a dragon angel of the spring, who serves the platinum dragon. With the help of Lorn, they plane shift to Mt. Celestia. They arrive at an enormous mountain that breaks up into the clouds. Around Celstia are six more floating mountains. Where there once a massive forest is burned, the crystalline rivers are now bloody, and the metallic dragons are in battle against phoenixes. Watching, but not acting, is Bahamut – a silver dragon with dozens of legs and wings. A shadow casts over the mountain by the phoenix god of the plane of fire. Above them, a comet flies down and lands twenty feet behind them. As the smoke dissipates, they see it’s a single white feather as hot as hellfire.
Upon seeing the carnage, Ciaran – who arrived excited – immediately becomes horrified. Basile turns invisible, and Alkaid starts praying. Rhaegar grabs at Torch, and Kass just sighs tiredly.
- The dark phoenixes swoop down on Xylander, Ciaran, and Bubbles. Their claws rake across Bubbles, Xylander, and Ciaran. As they swoop back around by their god, they see that their are strange ethereal chains connecting the dark phoenixes to the god.
- Ciaran casts Silence on the phoenix god, but his will surpasses the spell. Basile then blasts three times at each of the dark phoenixes.
- The Phoenix god starts wailing an awful cry, and Kass, Xylander, Rhaegar are slowed. Basile and Alkaid are unaffected.
- Alkaid summons three copies of herself and they all fire at one of the dark phoenixes. It becomes a pincushion in seconds and dies. As it explodes in a column of fire, Xylander
- Kass started singing to boost everyone, but he can’t seem to pick up the pace from being slowed.
- Rhaegar uses Lion’s Roar to boost everyone’s strength.
- The dark phoenixes fly back down and attack Bubbles, Chronos, and Xylander.
- Basile attempts Word of Changing, but the phoenix god resists. Ciaran casts Wall of Force in front of the phoenix to try and stop it but we all know that’s useless since iT’S A GOD.
- The phoenix casts Incendiary Cloud in the middle of the fray. Everyone is surrounded in a cloud of ash and brimstone.
- Alkaid grabs everyone and teleports them up to the spring up at the top of the mountain. As they argue about what is happening, a dark phoenix comes after them. A dragon shoots up out of the water and grabs the phoenix. It chucks it down the side of the mountain. It introduces itself as Adajar, and asks why mortals are here. Rhaegar says they’re trying to bring the phoenix god back to the plane of fire. At that moment, the dark phoenixes start to attack.
- Rhaegar runs up and lightning throws Torch at one of three phoenixes. It blows up and rises from the ashes.
- The phoenixes molt feathers and fling them down at Rhaegar in a wall of fire. Basile, Ciaran, Alkaid, Kass, and Bubbles are almost slowed by the shriek of another phoenix. The last flies up close to the group and explodes, knowing that it was about to be killed. Everyone takes damage, and as it rises from its ashes, it attacks Bubbles.
- As the phoenixes separate, Basile shoots off three blasts in frustration at each phoenix. Ciaran casts Disintegrate but it barely does anything.
- The phoenix god cast heal on one of his dark phoenixes.
- Alkaid and her clones fire off several arrows at the dark phoenixes. One of them struggles to fight through the wave of arrows and dies as it crumples to the ground.
- Kass finishes his song and starts shooting at one of the remaining phoenixes with his scream bow.
- Rhaegar commands Chronos to attack one of the phoenixes. Rhaegar runs out of the wall of fire and refreshes his maneuvers.
- The first phoenix fights against Chronos, and the other swoops by Kass and strikes him.
- Ciaran uses his healing belt to heal Basile, who shoots off more blasts.
- The phoenix god screeches and sings again, causing Ciaran, Xylander, and Kass are slowed.
- Alkaid easily takes out the last two dark phoenixes and the ethereal ghostly chains reach back out and shatter.
The phoenix god lets out a mournful cry and suddenly starts to become more joyous as it regains its sentience. As it shakes off its corruption, it rips a whole open in the universe and flew back home.