The story of Neebs and Associates is coming to a close. Let’s see what terrors they are currently facing.
- Ciaran (LVL24) and Basile (LVL26)
- Alkaid (LVL 25)
- Kass (LVL 23)
- Rhaegar (LVL 25)
- Neebs (LVL25)
The party floats in the void outside of Infernus, as those who were also once part of Neebs and Associates are dragged through the portal by ghostly chains: H’rathen, Dwayne, Stormageddon, Nergal, Skull King, Sbeen, and the alien-like corpse of a changeling who was once Toth.
Marven starts eating the corpse of Pendralar that Dwayne cooks. Sbeen is crying because the last time he saw them he had killed Basile. He sees Basile and starts air-swimming to him, but Basile nopes away from him. H’rathen floats over to the white guy and Ciaran tells him to speak with dead. H’rathen slaps him in the face but the spell doesn’t work. He can’t seem to communicate with anything outside of this plane of existence. He attempts to Plane Shift them away, but it fails. The group asks if the Heart of Mechanus can be used to help, and Pythos explains that if he stops casting magic, Lucifer will find them and kill them.
Deciding they need to find a place to stay, they all head to Ebonfire Keep, smacking into the ground as gravity starts working again. The bodies of the servants are strewn about the castle. The party divide themselves up into rooms where they can rest. Sbeen takes a chain and an axe to create grappling hook. He throws the axe into Pendralar’s side and pulls him in.
Kass studies the world a bit and discerns that those who enter Infernus are able to leave, but Lucifer is trapped. Additionally, there’s no reason for the prison to be locked if Infernus is dead. Neebs says we should go after Lucifer, and Rhaegar says that as long as we make it impossible for the portal to be opened, there’s no need to kill Lucifer. Basile says that Rhaegar should live in a box for the rest of his life since he has the key, and Rhaegar says that suffering of one can protect the planes of existence. Pythos also adds that he isn’t sure how long he can keep their shield on them.
After saving the world from imminent destruction, Neebs and Associates deserve some time to relax! But will their moment of peace last?
- Ciaran (LVL22) and Basile (LVL24)
- Marven (LVL 24)
- Alkaid (LVL 24)
- Biff (LVL 24)
- Neebs (LVL 24)
The group returns back to Neebsenshire and head to the Lair to drink and celebrate. Neebs and Marven play chess in the corner. When Neebs loses, they use the chess pieces to use their actual magical abilities to manipulate. Regis asks Marven if he should collect people from the Bard College to play. Marven doesn’t care but says sure, why not. Basile collects his family and friends to join them at the Lair, and he and Alkaid get shit faced. Biff performs the most legendary triangle ever. Regis returns and brings in a group of Ioun followers to perform Christian Rock music.
H’rathen then walks into the bar with a group of Valkyrie women to beat the shit out of the college musicians. They then demands to drink everything Marven has, and Marven charges them double the price. As Biff’s triangle becomes more annoying, Marven puts on house music. Since all the alcohol is given to the Valkyries, Alkaid summons a copy of herself to go fetch more from Modelheim – ModelHeinekens. Alkaid and her copies drink and get wasted 4x quicker.
H’rathen and his “girlfriends” sit at the bar and start asking Basile if he has any existential crises that he needed to talk about. H’rathen starts asking Basile if he needs help picking up women, despite him sitting right next to Eyrene, and Basile has to awkwardly explain that he doesn’t need any help. H’rathen continues to press if he’s ever been with anyone intimately or if he wants children. Basile continues to drink away his embarrassment as his brothers tease him for being a virgin and for not wanting children.
No need for fancy intro, it’s D&D time:
- Ciaran (LVL21) and Basile (LVL23)
- Kass (LVL22)
- Rhaegar (LVL 22)
- Alkaid (LVL 23)
- Dwayne (LVL 23)
- Lorn (LVL 23)
Back in Neebsenshire, Dwayne says the hook’s command word on accident while practicing and casts Gate. He goes through the portal and ends up in Mt. Celestia to meet with the rest of the group. After the group catches him up on everything, Dwayne pulls out a bottle and releases the crippled children souls into the air. He then gives everyone gifts since he’s been away so long:
- Alkaid is given razorwing feathers for her to fletch into arrows.
- Xylander is given a bundle of fish.
- Ciaran is given a book of recipes, with the first entry for Baklava.
- Marven is given a “One hour all you can eat buffet” coupon to Dwayne’s homeland.
- Rhaegar is given a pass into Dwayne’s family armory.
- Kass is given 20,000 gold because he’s a starving artist.
- Neebs is given a token for all you can drink at any bar in Dwayne’s homeland.
- Lorn is given a nice looking stick called the Wand of Smiles, but first Dwayne uses it on Rhaegar – who starts smiling uncontrollably.
- Basile is given a box and is told not to open it until they return to Neebsenshire.
Adajah returns after the battle and thanks them for their assistance. He warns them that the Unholy Crusade is continuing to destroy planes. He says they need to hunt down Mara and his crusade quickly.
Ciaran asks if they can speak with Bahamut to learn where the crusade is going, and offers to cook his favorite food. He learns from his new cookbook that Bahamut’s favorite food is starlight. Ciaran makes starshaped cookies in a pinch, and with a nat 20 Dwayne collects starlight for the dough.
The group meets with Bahamut and he thanks them for their assistance. He is amazed by the cookies and asks Dwayne to become his personal chef. Dwayne thinks about it and says he has more to do on the mortal plane before becoming his chef. Rhaegar asks if Bahaumt has a clue for where the Crusade is going, but they are outside of Bahamut’s sight. However, he says that they may be going to Carcery to gather more recruits for their army. Ciaran asks if he can talk to the god of Carcery, and Bahamut warns him that it’s an evil god not worth talking to. He also says that those who have lived criminal lives often end up in Carcery after death.
It’s the time again! Finally, some more Neebs and Associates. While we had to cancel a few weeks ago, we’re back for some more devil slaying.
- Ciaran (LVL18) and Basile (LVL20)
- Kass (LVL20)
- Rhaegar (LVL 20)
- Alkaid (LVL 20)
- Neebs (LVL 20)
- Lorn (LVL 20)
As the associates heal and comfort the people of Modelheim, they notice that they are angry that Ivuram didn’t come and save them. They ask Kass, Alkaid, and Ciaran if they are adventurers and if they can kill the dragon. Meanwhile, Neebs, Kass and Rhaegar notice that the devils they slain haven’t returned back to Infernus. As Neebs and Kass study the devils, Rhaegar loots the bodies. He stabs one through the neck with his sword, and a puff of purple smoke in the symbol of Lucifer blasts in his face. It explodes, setting off a chain reaction that make the other devils explode. Rhaegar, Kass, and Neebs get hurt in the small explosion. Additionally, everyone’s magic is dispelled, causing Basile to become visible in the middle of the crowd.
Everyone starts panicking again and Basile tries to turn invisible again but it doesn’t work. The crowd pushes out one of the carpenters who asks why they’re working with devils. The associates try to defend Basile, who is frozen in place and can’t handle being seen. He tries to slip away but Neebs grabs him and holds him in place.
In the chaos, Eyerene steps forward and calls out Basile as being Eythan. The crowd starts whispering and Basile feels a lot of guilt wash over the crowd. However, some of the younger crowd realizes they’re the characters from Ash Crimson. People are asking Ciaran for his autograph, and Ciaran is in the lime light. He is now claiming it’s Ciaran and Associates, and Neebs and Kass make him a banner.
Wow, it’s been a long time since we’ve played some Neebs and Associates. While not everyone could attend, we jumped right back in and started the next arc of our story.
- Ciaran (LVL18) and Basile (LVL20)
- Marven (LVL20)
- Rhaegar (LVL 20)
- Alkaid (LVL 20)
- Neebs (LVL 20)
After enough time, Marven and Rocky come back from their banishment and Marven states how great it was. Lorn and Dwayne teleport away to get back to Neebsenshire to check on the old man farm and Dwayne’s shop. The rest of the group teleports there and see that the stables run by Stormmageddon. The stables are broken as the dinosaurs take up too much space.
Marven visits the Lair and he sees Neebs inside, stroking his beard and playing chess by himself as he’s tries to figure out how to beat the chess in Marven’s lair. There is a gelatinous cube chained up to the wall being chopped up for jello shots. He goes into his lair, and Neebs frantically follows him to the teleporter and asks how he gets past the chess board. He simply has to be better at Marven in chess. They then go to Castle Ebonfire to check on how everything is going. Marven then suggests expanding Neebs and Associates to more members, then Pendralar reminds him that he needs to fulfill the end of their bargain. Marven denies it. Number One punches the ground and grabs a gopher for Marven to eat. Marven tries to roast it but nothing happens. Pendralar tells him to fetch the egg, or else he’ll take more things away. Neebs get Jennifer to work on expanding the guild and they go to handle the egg problem. They go back to Neebsenshire and Neebs tells Jennifer to recruit more members to do survival tests.
Meanwhile, Rhaegar visits Loris and brings back the documents showing that Dwayne’s kingdom would pull their troops back in a truce. Loris takes this back to the Commonwealth to give the party their pardons and treasure.
Alkaid checks on her nest. As she approaches, she hears small cheeps as her baby Roc has been born. She runs into the Lair and yells “IT HATCHED!” before running out. She then sends a copy of herself to Modelheim to check on how everything is going as Ivuram.
Basile and Ciaran go to visit Mary Fogg, who had been completely forgotten about this whole time. Mary has been staying at the Phoenix. He reads her mind and can tell that she’s not corrupted by Lucifer. At first she doesn’t recognize him, but then puts on her glasses and immediately knows its Eythan. She tells him how much his family misses him and that he needs to visit them more, and gives Ciaran cookies like a grandma would. They then went to visit their family and share stories. Dahliah is avoiding Basile and feels guilty, so he lets her be.
It’s been a long time since we last played D&D, and it will be a long time until we play again (at least until after Eddie and I return from our honeymoon) so we wanted to squeeze in one last session. We finally faced the Ebonfire, and it was one hell of a fight!
- Ciaran (LVL17) and Basile (LVL19)
- Lorn (LVL19)
- Marven (LVL19)
- Rhaegar (LVL 19)
- Alkaid (LVL 19)
- Neebs (LVL 18)
- Kass (LVL 18)
The group continues toward Castle Ebonfire, and Lorn senses that something is going to be teleporting into their area. Lorn casts Magic Circle Against Evil and Bite of the Werebear. Neebs casts Cat’s Grace, while Basile activates his Fell Flight and Ciaran casts Protection Devotion to Ioun. Alkaid activates Displacement and Blur on her armor. Rheagar uses Lions Roar and Kass starts to sing to embolden the group. Marven prepares to use his Breath of Pendralar on the first enemy that appears.
- Lorn additionally casts Rhino’s Rush and Deathward, and Rocky waits to charge into the first enemy that appears.
- Neebs casts Haste.
- Basile begins his Fiendish Resilience and Ciaran casts Cunning Insight.
- Suddenly, three fiendish creatures with scarlet skin and gray wings appear around the group. Rocky charges immediately, and Marven unleashes his breath on another one. However, they are immune to the acid breath.
- The creatures start swinging with their great swords at Marven, Rheagar, and Neebs’ raptor – Torrin. Rhaegar is able to counter attack one of the swings, but is still hit twice as the creature is surrounded in a yellow shield. Marven only gets hit twice, and the creature fighting him also gets a yellow shield. As Torrin starts to be attacked, Lorn casts Solarity to create a Wall of Force to protect him. He then releases his Heart of the Unicorn and teleports 300 feet away from the battle. In response, the creature casts Greater Dispel Magic to try and get rid of the Wall of Force but fails. It changes its mind and starts to smack at Alkaid, shielding itself in a white glow. Due to her blur and displacement she is only hit twice. Two of the creatures then quicken a Wall of Force to stop Rocky and an Area of Greater Dispel Magic on Rhaegar.
- Alkaid moves to get on top of Xylander, then shoots off nine arrows and makes a critical. Lorn casts Instant Power several times to help Alkaid hit more. The arrows slice through and shoots off their wings and wings as they die. Xylander then dashes away with Alkaid.
- Rhaegar begins hacking away at the creature in front of him.
- Marven uses his Great Maw of Marven to steal one of the creature’s supernatural abilities. However, it doesn’t seem to work. Instead he drinks a Cure Serious Wounds potion. The creature swings at him again.
- Kass uses his Scream Bow to shoot, but misses.
- Lorn casts Reaving Dispel, getting rid of the Wall of Force to allow Rocky to attack. He shoulders his spikes into the creature and rips it apart as it sizzles and boils. Lorn then looks at the last one and says, “We don’t have to be enemies! We can make a deal.”
- Neebs recognizes the creatures as a Concordant Killers, neither holy or fiendish creatures. He fires off twelve arrows to deal 500+ damage to trip him with Bigby’s Tripping Hand. Instead he just dies because he only had 4HP left.
Lorn makes a big bowl of soup to feed Alkaid and Marven to heal them, and pokes Rhaegar with his wand. As everyone recovers, Lorn stores Splinter Bolt into Rocky’s horn and Rhaegar’s sword. Alkaid summons a cow for Marven to cook to feed to Torrin. They then continue to make their way through the swamp.
Since last week didn’t turn out well for D&D, we got together to play this week! I was very pleased with how everything went (although, I still feel the desire to write out some of the behind the scenes RP between Basile and his family.) It’s been a while since I last wrote something. I might just have to do that…
- Ciaran (LVL16) and Basile (LVL18)
- Lorn (LVL18)
- Marven (LVL18)
- Rhaegar (LVL 18)
- Alkaid (LVL 18)
- Neebs (LVL 18)
With Ivuram’s lair before them, the group collect the spoils of their battle (including Dwayne’s old body) and slowly make their way into the cave. They fly down into the chasm several hundreds of feet. At the bottom, they see a mist floating over the floor. Basile can detect that it’s magic, but can’t figure out what it is.
Alkaid summons a sheep and drops it into the mist. It hits the mist and the group stops hearing the cry of the sheep. Ciaran casts Gust of Wind to blast through the mist, and the group shoots through before the mist closes – but they get the feeling that something is in the mist wanting to eat them.
They reach the bottom of the pit, and see the blackened and frozen sheep carcass on the floor. The ground seems to be a sheet of ice, there are several tunnels within the walls of ice, and there is a huge waterfall near the back. The pool of water appears to be magical, that Ciaran recognizes it as an evocation. Rhaegar suggests bottling some of the water to check out later. As they approach, they sense the temperature drop.